Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lessons from a dog sitter

One thing about having a less than normal life is that I'm always taking on odd jobs to pay the rent.  From construction clean up to being a nanny I feel like I've done every side job possible.  And this last week I spent a few days watching two very likeable dogs, but in the proses I have learned some "priceless" lessons.
   
     1. A full isn't just the size of the bed I usually stay in while dog sitting, it is the actual description of the bed with me squished between two dogs who don't understand the rules of sharing

    2. Dogs can snore . . . and have dreams that make them fight, run and whimper for help. These dreams usually start just as you begin to drift into REM.  And I thought I was a tough bunk mate!
    3. Cell phone texting will trigger loud barking at the door when you least expect it.
    4. You can't make a small dog "do their business" where they're supposed to if it's cold outside.  I know this to be a fact because every dog I've ever had charge of while there was inclement weather seems to have an aversion to wetting on an already wet area!  And you can forget about them staying out in the cold long enough to poo.  My apologies to the carpet, I just wasn't forceful enough to scare the ___ out of her while she was outside and as a result she pick on you.
    5.Like a kid and candy Dogs never get enough of catch.  I must confess that I have become a fan of this full contact sport because I'm able to root for the "underdog" hoping that they can beat the faster dog to the ball.
Other than these lessons revisited I have enjoyed waking up before the sun to feed and let the dogs out just so they can trick me into thinking they have emptied themselves.  And I found myself able to understand why people love their dogs as much as they do.  I could almost see why people leave money to their prized pooch in the Will.  Dogs love, they don't judge and they are pretty easy to please.  So here's to man's best friend!  You have won me over.

5 comments:

  1. You were right. That was funny! Sounds like you had quite an adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! That's great! It makes me miss having a dog. I dog sit from time to time, and I refuse to let the dogs join me in bed. They sit outside the door and whine the whole night... I guess I'm meaner than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about the dogs getting sad with there masters being gone so I try to keep things the way their used to it being. I might be a softy?

      Delete
    2. Got a great laugh out of this! Thanks for sharing! Just finished Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. A story told from the dog's point of view.

      Delete