Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Relearning How To Fly; Finding My Happy Thought



Do you remember your youth/teen years fondly?  When you see pictures of yourself in your teens and 20’s what sort of thoughts come to mind?  Maybe your thoughts start to wander to past hobbies, boys you liked, friends that you had and perhaps the way that you enjoyed life.


I think for many women the rapid linkage of one thought to another one is second nature for us.  Recently, I had a simple thought about how I might be “growing up” in ways that I might not want to.  That thought lead me to think of Peter Pan, which then lead me to think of the movie HOOK.  This movie is about how Peter grew up and became a grumpy, unhappy and overly responsible person who forgot who he was and lost himself completely.  As my mind went to that movie I had an immediate visual of the scene where Peter is having to relearn how to fly in order to save his kids. Literally catapulting through the air he chants, “think happy thoughts,” over and over in hopes of finding a happy thought to avoid crashing.

I’ve been think, that just maybe, this adulthood thing, though all well and good, had caused me to forget how to fly.  Here I am alive and well, but with both feet planted on the ground as I look at things with my newly developed logic and good sense.

One thing about myself that I'm worried about having lost is my optimism for others.  I used to always believe the best of people.  You might say I was a bit too trusting, maybe even naive.  Of course the result of my blind faith had many negative consequences which, if I could go back, I might change.  But for the last several weeks I keep finding things that are reminding me of my youthful outlook on life.  CD’s that I used to listen too, art that I did, movies that made me laugh etc.  I had almost completely forgotten about these wonderful things which had been my happy thoughts of life.

It was about 2009 or so when things really started to change with me.  I was in one of those hard seasons of life that we all have where you learn to become stronger as the result of pain.  As soon as I got through 09 I had the aftermath of that year to sift through.  When I thought I had my feet under me 2011 surprised me and all my happy thoughts seemed to be shaken yet again.

So, I’ve been wondering to myself how I can stay wise, be responsible and yet still be able to fly with hopeful thoughts for myself and others.  I feel homesick for my past self, the naive trusting person that I was, but I also know that to really love someone you have to see them for who they are, flaws and all, and stick by them anyways.  You have to believe in others, cheer them on, while making sure that you don’t make their future success or failure your responsibility.
 
So maybe I just want to laugh like I used to while still hanging onto the wiser me.  I’m sure that I can enjoy being a tender heart while staying wise.

See, I send you out as sheep among wolves. Be then as wise as snakes, and as gentle as doves.” (Matthew 10:16 BBE)  This seems to be a long standing lesson that I am trying to master.  I know that there is a need to see people and situations as they are in order to really do some good, or to just to stay out of a bad place, but I always seem to err on the side of being a dove.

I guess that this balance is always going to be hard to keep, but with everything in me, I will think my happy thoughts!!!  I will fly in hope, for myself and others!!! Surly both are possible, to be a grown-up and to be innocent and light hearted. 

Here is one of the songs that was bringing me back to my youth.  Darrell Evens was someone who's CD I could have worn out if that is possible  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WnbRtASRmM

No comments:

Post a Comment